Seoul, South Korea said today, on Friday it will cull nearly 2,500 pigs after confirming the country’s first outbreak of African swine fever (ASF) in a year, Yonhap reported.
The country plans to cull a total of 2,465 pigs — 940 in the farm in the eastern county of Hwacheon and 1,125 in two neighboring farms within a 10-kilometer radius of the infected farm, according to the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
“The government is looking into the transmission route of ASF, while focusing on quarantine measures to prevent the spread of the deadly disease,” a ministry official said over the phone.
Wild boars are widely presumed to have infected pigs in the affected farm but the investigation is under way, he said.
Three pigs were found dead at the Hwacheon farm late Thursday, and test results showed that they were infected with the animal disease. The infected farm had been raising some 940 pigs.
The country issues a special 48-hour travel ban on livestock-related facilities in Gyeonggi and Gangwon Province, effective of 5:00 a.m.
Last year, ASF swept through pig farms in northern regions covering Gyeonggi and Gangwon Provinces, prompting authorities to cull about 400,000 pigs nationwide as part of preventive measures. A total of 14 farms were infected.
Source: Saudi Press Agency