Ebola death toll rises to 59 in southern Guinea

Cape Town, Jumada I 22, 1435, Mar 23, 2014, SPA — At least 59 people were reported killed by the
Ebola virus in Guinea, where health officials say the outbreak has
reached epidemic proportions, a news report said Sunday, according to dpa.

Guinea’s Ministry of Health registered almost 100 infections since
the virus was first reported last month, according to Radio France
Internationale.

The southern districts Macenta and Gueckedou, which border Sierra
Leone, had been particularly affected by the outbreak, said Dr.
Sakoba Keita, the chief of the health ministry’s prevention unit.

Three of 12 virus samples sent to France had been confirmed as Ebola,
according to Keita.

Ebola is one of the most contagious viral diseases known, often
resulting in death. The virus cannot be prevented with a vaccine and
is untreatable with medication.
–SPA
15:26 LOCAL TIME 12:26 GMT

Related Post

Categories
Archives